Medicine Consultation Service
The Medical Consultation Service at San Francisco General Hospital evaluates and treats patients with medical problems who are hospitalized on non-medical services. The Service is staffed by an attending physician who also supervises a third-year internal medicine resident. Our attending physicians come from both the Division of General Internal Medicine (DGIM) and from the Division of Hospital Medicine (DHM) and have extensive experience with the medical issues that commonly arise in hospitalized patients. We are available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week for assistance. Additionally, we make recommendations regarding perioperative risk reduction for patients requiring surgery or other invasive procedures.
At SFGH, the Medical Consultation Service focuses on a number of important objectives, including but not limited to:
- Providing outstanding, evidence-based care for patients.
- Improving transitions of care for patients from the inpatient to the outpatient setting.
- Improving communication with patients’ primary care providers.
- Improving communication and interaction among medical and non-medical services.
- Providing residents with a top-tier education in medical consultation and perioperative medicine.
Please contact us at 443-7246 to request a consult, or contact the Director of the service, Dr. Richard Brooks with any questions or concerns.